We all spend a lot of time at our workplace. Companies need to foster workplace wellness programmes. Such programmes not only have a positive impact on employee productivity they also make them feel good in all areas of life - including work.
Why Wellness Is Important
If employees are disgruntled, they suffer burnout. The cynicism, depression and lethargy of burnout can occur when a person is not in control of how the job is being carried out. Paying attention to burnout is important, especially if one never feels ready to face the job or the co-workers. What's worse is the feeling of lack of achievement.
Anyone who is running out of gas can take steps to alleviate the effects of burnout, and re-evaluate work life. They may feel they are not suited for the job.
Employees with heavier or more demanding workloads are more likely to engage in emotional eating and eat without stopping.They also tend to pick more fatty foods. They also exercise less, which further compounds weight gain potential.
Steps to Take:
Chronic stress from work always manifests in negative health behaviours and habits. Professionals who are feeling this way should seek support and guidance from the company's human resources department. The human resources department should have at least one person in their team who is able to deal with the subject.
Promoting healthy eating in the workplace benefits everyone in the office. Offices, big or small, can provide simple vegetarian food like a salad, dal, sabzi, roti/rice, and dahi. It will benefit the employees and also provide a caring environment where they feel nurtured. It’s also a great way
to help them bond with each other over lunch.
Some Other Wellness Tips:
- Provide snacks like fresh, seasonal and local fruit and salads.
- Urge employees to carry dry fruits and nuts from home to eat as snacks.
- Hire the services of a nutritionist to give quarterly talks on good nutrition, sleep and exercise.
- Organise yoga classes if possible, even once/ twice a week and encourage employees to participate.
- Have a separate room where employees can be encouraged to just go and relax for a short while and read or just catch a breath. This way they can return to their projects with renewed energy.
- Water dispensers should be provided on each floor and employees should be encouraged to drink more water. Dehydration leads to fatigue and impaired thinking. Hydration must be encouraged.
- Occasional off sites to interesting places to live in nature, are also a good way to keep employees happy and motivated
All these simple measures provide for good health and wellness and reduced absenteeism in the workplace. It is worth incorporating these in the workplace to help prevent burnout and have a charged up organisation.